Yes, there’s a ton of entertainment to be had in the summer. From vacation to swimming pools to low carb ice creams. But there’s nothing like chilling weather, autumn, falling leaves, sweaters, boots, and soups?
So this year, I’ve decided to really bulk up Keto Matters with delicious Autumn recipes of luxury food to keep your bellies full and warm all winter long but in Keto way. So I’m bringing you a brand new, rich Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from one of my all-time favorites.
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion diced (about 200 grams)
- 2 stalks celery diced (about 84 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb broccoli florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups half and half or heavy whipping cream
- 16 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a 5-quart cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add butter along with the onion and celery. Cook for 4-5 minutes until starting to soften. Add in the garlic, cayenne pepper and mustard powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and minced broccoli, bring to a boil. Cook until broccoli is softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add in half and half and cheddar cheese, stir to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, add xanthan gum if using. Whisk well.
- If you’d like a creamier soup, you can use an immersion blender to blend partially or fully. You can also transfer the soup to a regular blender as well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve immediately.
This soup is creamy, flavorful, and very low carb. To be clear, it has a thinner, more broth-like consistency because it does not have a roux or any thickening agents (but you can add if you want). The taste is SPOT ON, either way.